Monday, December 24, 2007

Ceadir-Lunga

Where is that, you wonder?
























I used to live in Orhei, for two months during training (north of Chisinau). Currently, I live in Ceadir-Lunga (pronounced Chadder Loon-gah). By bus it's about 3 1/2 hours south of Chisinau (including slow-going for pot-hole ridden roads, and a few stops in towns along the way.) My guess by car, is that it would take only 2 hours to Chisinau.

It's a large town, or a small city, depending upon your definition of urban life. I've been told it's the cultural center of the Gagauzian region, whereas Comrat is the political and educational center. Fortunately for me, this means there are lots of plays, dances, and musical performances! On the otherhand, there aren't any university students around to tutor me in Russian. Language will come with time, so I'm definitely happy to be placed in such a culturally rich area!

No comments: