Sunday, March 2, 2008

Turning 30!

Amazingly February has come and gone- and without an entry in my blog!

I seem to be obsesses with only making entries when I have film or photos to share. Perhaps I should get over this desire to display visuals and openly write comments as well.

So February. One of the biggest highlights happened on the 2nd. It was my 30th birthday! As my long-time friends back home couldn't be around for the big bash, I instead had a warm dinner party in my host family's house. I invited new friends from different parts of my life here in Ceadir-Lunga. Expecting everyone at 5pm, Neha and I began cooking around 2pm. Three hours later we still had massive amounts to do! People began arriving, and I was frantic in the kitchen. I decided to stop pretending to be Moldovan having a beautiful table prepared for everyone in advance, and put my friends to work. There were probably about 8 people scurrying around a tiny kitchen. We made homemade gyouza (also known as potstickers), and thanks to a large food package of goodness sent from Japan, we also made sushi rolls! I taught them how to make and roll them, and my friends did all the work. It was great! The Okonomiyaki (Japanese cabbage cakes) were a hit!

As more people began pouring in, even people I didn't invite, I began worry that we wouldn't have enough food so I made a huge pot of Japanese curry. To my delight, and surprise, my host mother brought to the table a baked goose, and delicious rice-filled cabbage rolls. Everyone was stuffed, slightly buzzed from the champagne and cognac, and lavishingly giving toasts. It was a fun night. Little girls that I didn't know would arrive began pounding on the piano, pretending to perform a classical masterpiece, then fortunately decided that reciting poetry would get more applause. Extended family member began arriving, more guests I didn't expect. The house was so full that we were in two rooms eating and laughing.

All in all, it was a good time. My friends cooked the meal, and we were entertained by adorable children. What more could I have asked for?

And yes, here's a video.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hey Erin! very different from your birthday last year :) Can you tell me how to convert video files? You are the expert! I want to make a video like you do with windows movie maker but the videos from my camera only open in real player. What program do you use to convert to wmv?

Help me!!!

ps - 1.5 months left in Tajikistan!